Monday, May 30, 2022

Long-term IT survivability - educational impact?

Even though Memorial day is a big holiday here in the USA, I am still doing my tech-editing (quiet! I didn't name the book :) ) - got the new chapter a couple of days ago, and the publishing process should run no matter what is going on around the world. And of course, got a couple of thoughts that I wouldn't mind sharing ;)

When you talk about Oracle as a development platform, you can cleanly see two major patterns - either people are covering extremely advanced topics that only other gurus would understand, or people provide very light walk-throughs without providing real depth. As a result, in the IT you often see either over-utilization of Oracle platform or its under-utilization (depending on the type of available workforce).

Being educator myself for the last 20 years I often ask myself: how much knowledge is really needed to build systems efficiently? The current trend is that lots of mediocre developers is better, because they are predictable, and because if needed you can get more of them. As a result, wide knowledge of various platforms/tools is valued more than in-depth knowledge of smaller number of tools. I.e. IT education should be focusing on widening of the base + ease of switching from one environment to the other - but IMHO, that's a trap!

You cannot constantly jump from one solution to another - eventually you need to be able to provide-long term support and maintenance of existing systems (yes, rewrite is an option, but how often you can find THAT level of budgets?!)  And you, know - recently I made a presentation covering that long-term survivability of IT platforms, and I completely forgot to add it to this blog.


No comments: