Monday, March 11, 2013

Blogging. Resurrection

It was pretty long time since I've posted anything in this blog (for various reasons) - too bad, especially since there was a lot of interesting things in the IT around me worth sharing. Today I officially resurrect this blog - just can't keep myself quiet for so long :-)!

Let's start with some good news - the conference season is slowly but steadily starts to roll! Tomorrow (March 12, 2013) I will be presenting at New York Oracle User Group with my brand-new talk:

Top 5 Issues that Cannot be Resolved by DBAs (other than missed bind variables) [complete schedule]

Here is the abstract: Common knowledge says that if there is something wrong with the database, blame DBAs. Fortunately for database administrators, about 95% of such cases have nothing to do with their job responsibility. Unfortunately, it takes a lot of time to explain this to any manager. And it takes even longer for an organization as a whole to look for real solutions to its IT problems other than asking its DBAs to look for “run_faster=TRUE”. This presentation’s goal is to illustrate the most common “pseudo-DBA” issues and proper ways of resolving them.

This presentation is a bit of a challenge for me, because it's the first time I decided to pick "TopN"-style instead of deep-dive into a topic. To be fair, I've got a bit tired with feeding people different answers, when they cannot figure out core conceptual questions. So, I decided to change the style - I ASK questions first. Yes, I would also show my proposed approaches - but that's secondary! The primary goal here would be to make people THINK.

And it will be definitely entertaining to see, how the NYC crowd (the most challenging one I ever presented to!) react. If I survive this experience - promise to report an aftermath, maybe even some snippets out of my white-paper. :-)

Ave Caesar, morituri te salutant!


No comments: